Knowledge is power
Do you know about STD’s and STI’s?
Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Infections (STDs & STIs) are spread through vaginal, or anal sex, oral sex and skin to skin contact with sexual fluid (vaginal fluid and semen).
Condoms don’t make sex safe. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), condoms only REDUCE THE RISK of some STDs like Gonorrhea, Chlamydia and Trichomoniasis. Genital Herpes, Syphilis and HPV can occur in and around genital areas that are not covered by a condom. Correct condom use is 85% effective in preventing HIV exposure.
You can have a STI or STD, never know it & pass it on to someone else.
Common STIs and STDs
- CHLAMYDIA & GONORRHEA are among the two most commonly reported BACTERIAL infections- often with NO symptoms- untreated, they can cause serious health problems in both men & women.
- Trichomoniasis is a common STI that is caused by a parasite.
- GENITAL HERPES currently infects more than 1 in 5 Americans over age 12. With NO known cure, the painful sores it causes can re-occur for years.
- HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS (HPV) is one of the most common VIRAL diseases in America. Studies show nearly 1/2 of all sexually active people acquire GENITAL HPV. It causes genital warts & is linked to cancer of the cervix, mouth, throat, penis & anus.
- HIV/ AIDS has killed nearly half a million Americans. 1 out of 4 infected people are undiagnosed & unaware of their infection.
Other Stuff you may not know about STDs and STIs
- MORE THAN 1 in 4 young women are presently infected with an STD.
- 15-24 YEAR OLDS are 1/4 of the sexually active population, yet account for nearly 1/2 of the new infections reported every year. According to the Guttmacher Institute, there are NINE MILLION new infections EACH YEAR. That's nearly 25,000 per day!
- NEW STRAINS of STDs are resistant to treatment.
- INFECTION with certain common STDs can increase your chance of contracting HIV/AIDS by up to 5 times, according to the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (2004).
Do You Know Your Risk of Exposure?
"Many teenagers, as well as adults, are indirectly exposed to more than one sexual partner each year because their partner has had sex with someone else." -Alan Guttmacher Institute
"When you have sex with someone, you are having sex with everyone they have had sex with for the last ten years, and everyone they & their partners have had sex with for the last ten years." -C.Everett Koop, MD. former US Surgeon General